Thursday, 27 December 2012

Why I Exercise? To Lose Weight

Well, this is an obvious one!  All of my fellow 12WBTers will be able to relate to this one.

I exercise to lose weight!

They say that in order to lose weight, 80% of it is made up by diet, whilst the other 20% is made up by exercise.  I totally agree with that concept.  Although 20% may not seem like much, to me it is very important.  Unfortunately I cannot lose weight without exercise.  I also cannot lose weight without counting calories.  They are both very important, but I think that some people underestimate how much that 20% that is allocated to exercise is really worth.  To me it is gold.  It is extremely valuable.


The one thing that I really like about the 12 Week Body Transformation is that it emphasises the importance of exercise.  Each week are we not only given a food program, but we are given an exercise program.  We are expected to exercise six days a week, which includes a mixture of cardio, strength training and stretching.


I have done two other weight loss programs in the past - Lite n'Easy and Weight Watchers.  On both of these programs I managed to lose weight.  I lost about 6kg on each program.  I also managed to put all that weight back on.

I think that both of those programs are missing a vital key that the 12WBT embraces.  Exercise.  And when I talk about exercise, I mean hard core stuff.  The stuff that makes you sweat!  The stuff that makes you puffed out!  The stuff that leaves you sore the next day!

When I was on Lite n'Easy, nowhere in the program did they talk about exercise.  They did not encourage you to do 30 minutes of exercise a day.  All they encouraged you to do was consume either 1200, 1500 or 1800 calories.  If you are not familiar with Lite n'Easy they deliver food to your door.  Yes, that is convenient as who really has that much time to cook some days.  But they only encouraged you to do 80% of the work required.  Exercise was forgotten.

Weight Watchers did encourage you do exercise, but it was very basic stuff.  They would encourage you to go for a 30 minute walk every day, or maybe a 30 minute work out session at Curves.  Whilst that might be classified as exercise, it wasn't hard enough.  It didn't get your blood pumping or your body sweating.  So once again, the exercise component wasn't really encouraged well at Weight Watchers.

So this is probably why I never quiet got to my goal weight.  I always made it 80% of the way.  That was probably because the programs only focused on diet.

The 12WBT program has made me realise the important role that exercise plays in weight loss.  Exercise has consistently allowed me to drop between 500grams to 1 kilogram each week when I am eating well and exercising.  These numbers make me feel good!  But when I can't exercise due to injury and I'm just focusing on the diet aspect of my journey, I lose smaller numbers.  To me, exercise is the key.

Without exercise, I wouldn't have done this!

So, one of the many reasons why I exercise is to lose weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment